BA in French Teaching (53–68 hours*, including licensure hours)
This major is designed to prepare students to teach in public secondary schools. In order to graduate with this major, students are required to complete Utah State Office of Education licensing requirements. To view these requirements go to http://education.byu.edu/ess/licensing.html or contact Education Student Services, 120 MCKB, (801) 422-3426.
Program Requirements | View MAP
- Obtain application instructions by meeting with the Department of French and Italian French secondary education supervisor. Applications are accepted during the first term of each semester while student is enrolled in FLANG 276.
- The French and Italian Department requires a minimum of 18 major hours to be taken in residence at BYU for this degree program. These hours may also go toward BYU's 30-hour residency requirement for graduation.
- Grades below C- in professional education courses or content courses will not be accepted in the teaching major or teaching minor. Teacher candidates must have a cumulative 2.85 GPA in teaching major and teaching minor courses to qualify for student teaching.
- A teaching minor in another subject is strongly recommended. Teaching opportunities in public schools may be significantly reduced without a second teaching subject that a teaching minor provides.
- Complete the following prerequisites (or equivalent):
FREN 101 : First-Year French, Part 1.FREN 102 : First-Year French, Part 2.FREN 201 : Intermediate French, Part 1.FREN 202 : Intermediate French, Part 2.
- Complete the following:
FREN 321 : Advanced French Part 1.FREN 322 : Advanced French Part 2.FREN 340 : Introduction to Literary Analysis.FREN 377 : Introduction to French Language Teaching.FREN 378 : French Language Teaching Procedures and Practicum.FREN 431 : Introduction to French Linguistics.
Note: Fren 378 must be taken the semester immediately before student teaching.
- Complete 2 courses from the following:
Note: Only one registration of Fren 490R will count toward the major requirements.
- Complete the following:
CPSE 402 : Educating Students with Disabilities in Secondary Classrooms.FLANG 276 : Exploration of Teaching Foreign Languages.IP&T; 286 : Instructional Technology in Teaching.SC ED 350 : Adolescent Development in an Education Context.SC ED 353 : Multicultural Education.SC ED 379 : Classroom Management.
Note: FBI fingerprint and background clearance must be completed before enrollment in FLANG 276.
- Complete 12 hours of one of the following:
SC ED 476R Secondary Student Teaching - French.SC ED 496R : Academic Internship: Secondary Education.
Note: The Department of French and Italian offers the following resources to strengthen oral language skills: conversation courses (Fren 211R, 311R, 411R), the Foreign Language Student Residence, Study Abroad, or an internship in French-speaking countries. Please refer to the specific program or course description for detailed information about these resources.
*Hours include courses that may fulfill university core requirements.
For more information, please visit http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2013-2014ucat/departments/FrenchItalian/FrenchTeachingMajor.php