BA in French (45.5–66.5 hours*)
Program Requirements | View MAP | View Program Outcomes
- The French and Italian Department requires a minimum of 15 major hours to be taken in residence at BYU for this degree program. These hours may also go toward BYU's 30-hour residency requirement for graduation.
- Complete a minor (approximately 16–21 hours) or 15 hours of course work in an area approved by the major advisor. Courses must be approved before the senior year.
- Complete the following prerequisites (or equivalent):
FREN 101 : First-Year French, Part 1.FREN 102 : First-Year French, Part 2.FREN 201 : Intermediate French, Part 1.FREN 202 : Intermediate French, Part 2.
- Complete the following core courses:
FREN 321 : Advanced French Part 1.FREN 322 : Advanced French Part 2.FREN 340 : Introduction to Literary Analysis.
- Complete two courses from the following:
FREN 361 : French Civilization from the Beginning to 1715.FREN 362 : French Civilization from 1715 to the Present.FREN 363 : Contemporary French Civilization.
- Complete five courses from the following:
FREN 431 : Introduction to French Linguistics.FREN 432 : History of French.FREN 433 : Studies in French Linguistics.FREN 452R : Studies in Period, Movement, and Theme.FREN 453R : Studies in Genre.FREN 454R : Studies in Author.FREN 455R : Studies in Literary Theory.FREN 456R : Francophone Studies.FREN 457R : Studies in French Culture.
- Complete the following:
FREN 495 : Senior Portfolio Seminar.
Note: French majors can select Fren 445, 490R, or Bus M 596R as one of the five required 400-level courses to count toward the major.
Students who need to strengthen oral skills should enroll in Fren 211R, 311R, and 411R.
*Hours include courses that may fulfill university core requirements.
For more information, please visit http://registrar.byu.edu/catalog/2013-2014ucat/departments/FrenchItalian/FrenchMajor.php